Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer Time....and the living is FRANTIC!

As my youngest prepares for college this fall, we've gone through all the college visits - filled out all the applications - scholarships - and recently went through her highschool graduation, at which she was named a Graduate of Distinction with honors, being in the Top 20 in her class. We just returned from her orientation visit at her college to get everything setup, and her 18th birthday followed the day we returned. Add to all that activity the preparations for our annual FRP Cookbook University Seminar, which was recently held at the beautiful Opryland Hotel in our home office city of Nashville, TN. Getting all the sales stuff together and in the midst also the development and presentation of a new internet marketing master class (which was SO FUN!), and you'll find one worn out momma!

All the more reason to start reviewing my summer-time "quick, easy, fresh" recipes. I dug out my all time favorite salsa, which I inherited from a good friend who I worked with many many years ago, when I first got into the cookbook publishing arena.

This has become such a staple around our house, that I now grow almost all the fresh ingredients in my very own garden out back. Nothing is finer than this tremendous summertime salsa. When I go to any type of gathering, I'm usually told to "bring the salsa!" I love having it for breakfast in an egg burrito, and of course it's the bombdiggity with just chips. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.


Bill Sharpe's Salsa
3-4 medium tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 medium onion, about 1 cup (I like to use vadalia)
2-3 jalapeno peppers (use caution when seeding the peppers)
1) 8oz bottle of Wishbone Italian Dressing (don't fudge on the brand!)
1) 16oz Picante Sauce (Rosita's taste best, but Pace works well too)
1 tbl lime juice (optional)
3 tbl fresh cilantro (my girl prefers it without but I love it with)

Chop all the veggies fine to medium size. Add all ingredients together and let sit in the frig overnight so the flavors have time to blend. You can eat it immediatley, but tastes better if sits overnight.

Have a Delicious Day! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. ONE NOTE: I've learned over the years to cut back a bit on the Italian Dressing - only use enough to get it to just the right consistency you like! Anne

    ReplyDelete